Monday, March 01, 2010

Raising Kids and Beetles in Japan

Being a father to kids in Japan can be a unique experience. For example, boys around a certain age will usually decide they love trains, especially the fast shinkansen, and I had a great time with my son as we learned the names of every train in Japan and even made a special trip to Nagoya on the Nozomi 700, the fastest bullet train. A few years later Japanese boys go through a phase where all they want to do is catch large beetles to keep as pets, and my wife and I spent more than a few hours wandering through woods at night trying to help my son snag a kabutomushi, or a rhinoceros beetle. When I saw the new GummiX Gummi Bug Making System, which you make realistic-looking bugs and other crawlies using included gelatin powder and common drinks like cola or ramune soda, I had to applaud the company for its great idea. The bug-shaped molds are quite versatile and you can use them with the popular "Mousse-chan paper clay" toys we carry or even mold chocolate using them.