I'll teach you another Japanese word: guuzen (goo-ZEN), which means "coincidence." I don't know why, but there seems to be something about Japan that brings out the most unlikely coincidences, at least for me. On several occasions I've bumped into people I studied Japanese with at SDSU in Tokyo and Yokohama -- quite a feat, considering the fact that I live far from these places myself. The guy who lives next door to us just happened to decide to run for mayor in our city of 200,000, and won -- this proved helpful when it came time to ask NTT to upgrade our broadband connection, since we have the same last name as him and everyone assumes we're related. When racing manga/anime Initial D got popular in the U.S., I was surprised to learn that the mountain roads I'd been zooming through for years were the setting of the story. But the biggest guuzen of my life would have to be the fact that the city I just happened to come to live in was the home town of Touch creator Mitsuru Adachi, and his high school (the model for the school in the anime) was near where I used to teach English. While browsing an outstanding Touch site the other day, I got another shocker: Mr. Adachi also shares the same birthday as my wife. How many degrees of separation are involved here? It just boggles the mind.
Japan's hopes in the World Cup have come to an end with the unfortunate (but probably inevitable) 4-1 loss to Brazil. The game took place at 4 a.m., Japan time, and no doubt many thousands of fans stayed up to watch it as it unfolded. My son was among them, at a school sleepover event in which students brought sleeping bags and slept in the school so they could get up to cheer the Japan team on together. Congratulations to Brazil on the win, and good luck to the teams still in the game!
One thing that will no doubt be popular in Tokyo this summer is hats -- I like the Mickey Mouse one! on the left
There is 0% chance that the Japanese person buying this hat will take the time to read it and say, oh my, Arnold Palmer, the famous golfer! She'll just buy it for the design and not even consider what it says. This is why you see clothes with slogans like "hairy beaver" or "Heil Hitler" (as I've seen).
Long Beach, yeah! Totally meaningless!
Now we're starting to get stylish. Remember the post I made a few months ago on the children's clothes with Playboy bunnies on it. Of course, it's a meaningless symbol here, so why not?
Definitely, the Japanese have this
"design" thing sewn up tight.
Pony. Is that a famous brand? My Pretty Pony?